08 December 2008

Bologna, Piazza Minghetti

This was one of our stops on the last SketchCrawl (october 25).
Piazza Minghetti is not one of my favorite places in Bologna: it's the center of the financial, posh and snooty Bologna, anyway (as the whole Bologna) it has some elegant, romantic and decadent charm.


This first sketch shows a fat man that said rude nonsenses to everyone that passed near him, seemed not to be in his right mind. The following one is a detail of the huge plane tree in the center of the square. It always take my attention much more than the buidings.

Brush drawing has its own grammar and its own rhetoric, the hand holds the brush but it immediately takes the floor (I'd better say it takes the paper) and tells most of the message.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful sketches - I admire your sure hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know how you can even communicate the mood of a space. se siente como una plaza con una brisa fresca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at your sketches brought back happy memories of my trip to Bologna (march 08) I saw an exhibition of Antonio Basoli's work and loved his sketch book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sketches! I can't make anything look good with those pens so I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Felicity, I just started the last spring and in the beginning was really afraid. I made several pages of just doodles in order to feel the touch. The main question about the brush is that it's alive. You must dialog with it an let it talk. Then it becomes a drug.

    ReplyDelete