16 April 2011

El Palau de la Musica Catalana

Some weeks ago the Circle Artistic Sant Lluc organized a visit to the Palau de la Musica Catalana in which we were allowed to walk freely on every part of it. This means we could go on stage or near the organ tubes and some other points usually not so accessible.
This auditorium is a masterpiece of Catalan Modernisme by Domènech i Montaner, it seems more a cathedral than a concert hall. Every little corner is full of symbols about music and musicians throughout times and places. While I was drawing I've heard the explanations of the guides for the visitor groups for 6 times (2 in spanish, in 2 catalan, in 2 english). I liked very much that, since Domènech was ideologically quite liberal, there are no private boxes.

I started with a general view which I colored using a tiny watercolor box with just sepia, gold ochre and indigo.
Palau-01
Since I had no room for the gorgeous stained-glass skylight I made a drawing apart for it (and added some liquid watercolor at home).
Palau-02
The next drawings are the 18 muses that decorate the back of the stage.
The color of the background mosaic is always sepia as in the first drawing, but I thought is was boring to make all the 3 drawings on the same color so I used the 3 colors of the palette.
Palau-03
Palau-04
Palau-05

7 comments:

  1. Standing ovation, Miguel !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing. I especially love the top drawing, it's awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. clap clap... prime parole della giornata :"porcalazzzozza!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. MAGNIFICO¡¡¡. gRANDE, gRANDE... MAESTRO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preciosa serie. Wow qué buen trabajo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sketchbooks are extraordinary. Your journal is jam packed with gorgeous and impressive work. I all all the detail. Very awesome work.

    ReplyDelete