03 January 2009

Autumn 2008 sketchbook

In november, at the Clermont-Ferrand's Biennale du Carnet de Voyage, my friend Enrique Flores gave to many of us one of this little sketchbooks (10x15 cm) for which he had made the cover illustration. I started to draw on it when I came to Bologna and finished it exactly one month after. Almost all drawings were finished at place. I used 6 water brushes loaded with different watered fountain pen inks, except for the yellow that was liquid watercolor. The black lines were made with a Pentel brush pen and 2 Lamy Safary (with EF and calligraphic nibs) both loaded with Noodler's ink. Click on the image to zoom and leaf through pages, or see a video here.

11 comments:

  1. I never thought to fill a water brush with watered ink. Thanks for the idea; I'll try it. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Así que robando soportes de palillos en los restaurantes chinos, eh?... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iona, lo siento pero son lo mejor que conozco para sujetar los pinceles mojados, y mucho mejor si son robados. Además suelen ser bonitos. (Me encanta que te hayas leido la letra pequeña :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No suelo ir, pero ahora me ha picado la curiosidad... (¡Instigador de malas costumbres! Como me pillen, me voy a chivar... :D).

    ReplyDelete
  5. ¡Esto es lo que se llama un regalo bien aprovechao!
    Gran trabajo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Miguel, enhorabuena por tu blog.
    La verdad es que tienes razon cuando dices que vivir rodeado de una cultura diferente a la que te vio nacer siempre es muy tentador. Debo decir que en tu caso me das una envidia (sana!) especial por estar en Italia.
    He estado unas cuantas veces en este maravilloso pais y debo decir que de las capitales que he visitado Roma es en muchos aspectos la mas espectacular y la que con mas fuerza me sedujo.
    Pues eso, un saludo y a disfrutar de la luz mediterranea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. me encanta miguel, que bien de ver todos estes fragmentos de tu vida.
    tengo que utilizar también water brushes, parece genial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great work, I love that you put the movie together so we can see it all unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I abslutely ADORE this collection of drawings. Damn, you are good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a perfect little gem! Enrique is very inspiring and generous, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura: I'm grateful to Enrique not only for this sketchbook, he is the one that showed me the brush world. I knew him in april 2007 and I had never tried to use brushes for other than coloring. All the story is told here http://freekhand.blogspot.com/2008/04/hometown-and-brushes.html and here http://freekhand.blogspot.com/2008/05/blue-green.html

    ReplyDelete