24 November 2008

À la Biennale du Carnet de Voyage










Last weekend I went to Clermont-Ferrand for the 9th Biennale du Carnet de Voyage. I had been invited to show my sketchbooks and it was my first exhibition, I mean not my first in Clermont-Ferrand but the first in my life. I had never shown my drawings to anybody but family and friends (blogging is not the same, it's like hitting and running, you don't see the faces of the people looking at your work).


I felt like a kid with a new toy, it was absolutely amazing. Seeing people round my table leafing through my sketchbooks (often from the first to the last page!) was unbelievable to me...

...but the best was to hear some of them laughing (I'm not kidding!) with my cartoons. Now I understand comedians when they say make 'em laugh: I'ts one of the greatest sensations I've ever felt.
I've posted many other pics here, and as you can see on them, every lunch ended sketching over the tablecloths: with pens, brushes, ink but also with wine, sauce, forks, fingers...
I learnt so much, I knew lots of great artists, some editors and many funny and nice people.
I'd like to go back next year!

I also found the time to make some sketches, here they are:


At Bologna Airport before the departure.


At the Lyon-Part Dieu Station.


On the train between Lyon and Clermont-Ferrand.


At the Clermont-Ferrand Station.


The last day I had some hours in Lyon and I took a walk in the Vieux Lyon (really nice!)


This is the brasserie La Gargouille where I took a fantastic lyonnaise salad.


This the view of the Saône river from the Bonaparte bridge.
It was a sunny day but the wind blew so hard and it was really difficult to draw.

...That's all folks!
Next year in Clermont-Ferrand!

17 comments:

  1. Me alegra que te lo pasaras bien. Una pena lo poco que duró ¿no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Es cierto, la única sensación negativa es que todo fue como atropellado, aunque probablemente son imaginaciones mías visto que los días eran larguísimos en el Polydome y había tiempo para todo. Pero sí, me hubiera apetecido más!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congratulations Miquel! What an event, I would have loved to have seen it! I'm surprised you haven't shown your drawings before so it's great that they have now been featured at such a great venue! Good luck for next year too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Felicity, I'd liked to see you over there too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. enhorabuena Miguel, tienen la suerte de haber contado contigo porque tus trabajos son fantásticos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Congratulations - must have been an amazing experience. I would have loved to be there - sigh, it is hard being in Australia - you are always on the other side of the world from everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Miguel, I have the certainty that those who had the luck to flip through your sketchbooks had no clue of how lucky they were. I can't imagine your excitement! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Miguel -- how i wish i had been there in Clermont-Ferrand just to have the pleasure to flip through your sketchbooks. This must have been such a neat experience.
    Your sketches of the Vieux Lyon are gorgeous too.
    Everything. Everything you do.
    *Bow*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miguel, I met someone yesterday that visited and told me about all the amazing artworks - Jean Pierre Montmasson - I wonder did you meet him? He travels all over the world just to paint, maybe he will be featured next year?! I'm sorry to miss this, I have to keep my eye open for the dates next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Felicity, I've seen many great artists but it was such an overdose in such a few time (I passed almost all day near my stand, just some walks of 15-20 minutes from time to time). I have so many drawings on my mind that most of them are not associated to names. I don't know iff I saw him or not, sorry!
    One of the reasons I want to come back is for taking more time and attention as visitor (and if you come I'll have another great reason!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. come al solito sei sempre un passo avanti... fighissimo il post con il carnet consultabile... ma come hai fatto maledetto? cmq davvero... sei un grande... ti linko subito sul mio novello blog che impallidice di fronte al tuo. a presto
    michele

    http://michelebenevento.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats miguel!
    it was supposed to be a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hola Miguel !
    Me encanta que lo pasaste bien, y yo también me parece que no tuve bastante tiempo para hablar con todos. Pero mi prima de Madrid me dice que tuve la suerte de estar con los autores espanoles, seguramente mas divertidos que los franceses...
    A presto,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  14. Incredible ! you draw my home ! The window of my sleeping room....in the view from Bonaparte bridge....hi hi !

    ReplyDelete
  15. jalexis: in the original there's a miniature portrait of you at the window (impossible to see without a magnifying glass) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. No me extraña que te convoquen para estos saraos, Miguel: ¡eres un genio! Ojalá que algún día encontremos un editor para publicar toda estas joyas que tienes dando vueltas por la red. En Teína, desde luego, eres nuestro héroe de la ilustración.

    Un abrazo.

    PD: Tu cuaderno es una maravilla. Quizá puedas intentar hacer alguna novela ilustrada, que es un género muy en boga en este momento. No sé si tienes tiempo, talento más que de sobra.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These drawings are SO good, Miguel. I love the train chairs and the Lyonnaise bouchon. And, mmmmmm, the Lyonnaise salad is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete